The Venus Project virus continues to infect thousands
Let me start by congratulating the makers of this movie for producing an exceptional piece of propaganda in the classical sense of the term — it very articulately conveys a message that even us unenlightened gentiles can understand. But fortunately for the world, it’s not quite persuasive enough to effect any meaningful change. In this stormy cloud of ideas lies a dangerous system of beliefs that despite the best intentions of Jacques Fresco and his followers will further entrench the power elite onto their thrones.
As any prophet in the past advocating radical change has experienced, Jacques Fresco describes the hostility he has faced from those who disagree with his belief system. I personally found this quite amusing after the torrent of insults and personal attacks hurled in my direction after the previous film. If any followers have managed to contain their anger and disgust sufficiently to read this far into my review, I would simply direct you to the comment section of the following post – not to form the basis of any rebuttal of Jacques’ gospel, but to make a simple point – people everywhere hate being exposed to information that contradicts ideas they have already accepted as truth. You may score some sympathy points for your meaningless banter but it doesn’t add value to your argument, we have all had similar experiences. The flaw runs deeply on all sides of any argument, psychologists call it cognitive dissonance.
Bites of Point
The people advocating a resource based economy still fail to recognize the difference between money and currency. You will not eliminate items of persistent value that can be predictably exchanged by shutting down the printing presses. The film does nothing to address this reality.
The film also fails to explain how abundance can be achieved, other than by including a veiled concession that desires will be addressed by dismissing them as wasteful ‘wants’ or contradicting the whole premise of the new order by suggesting we should share and trade any scarce items of value – because to maximize the efficient use of resources ownership is evil and I really want a stranger sleeping in my bed when I take a vacation or go to the park. I lived in a hotel for a few months once… I didn’t even realize how uncomfortable I was until I got my own place. Similarly, this system is dependant for its survival on building a wall of ignorance to separate people from understanding the true pleasures of satisfying their ‘wants’.
It astonishes me that nobody in their “movement” recognizes the risk of entrusting 100% of the responsibility to manage the new order into the hands of just 3% of the population. After complaining about a small percentage of the population manipulating the economy today, how is that an improvement? How is that something consistent with abolishing powerful elite or de-centralizing power to prevent catastrophic abuse?
If only 3% of the population is needed to maintain the system, why do we need the other 97%? Isn’t it obvious the most efficient use of resources, ultimately, is to farm non-contributing people for desirable genes and eliminate the rest? The movie begins with an argument against eugenics only to make the case for it.
I asked some important questions about the lives of the other 97% and all we hear is fantasy about people looking at the stars and returning to their childhood. Give me a break! Creativity is good and we should encourage people to think differently but maturity is not a problem that needs to be fixed.
I still see no adequate answer to how the system will prevent non-resource based conflicts that often cause hostility and could ultimately develop into criminal levels of behavior (cheating, lying, deception, relationships, sports, arts, culture, fashion, music, decency, etiquette, manners, etc.)
Given that most research projects fail, there is still no adequate answer for who will ultimately be responsible for determining which projects are allocated which finite resources. Does each city maintain their own master computer’s source code? Who are the programmers?
There is still no adequate answer for distribution of newly invented goods in an equitable manner.
There is still no adequate answer for who controls the master global resource allocator.
There is still no adequate answer for dealing with people who refuse to submit to this system.
Please, feel free to extend this list in the comment section below.
40 Comments »